Grandparent & Third Party Rights Skilled & Compassionate Family Lawyers

Grandparents' & Third-Party Rights in Pennsylvania

Are You Seeking Visitation Rights to Your Grandchildren?

As a grandparent, death and divorce can directly affect the relationship you have with your grandchildren. Fortunately, Pennsylvania allows grandparents to request rights of visitation under certain circumstances. If you need legal assistance with this matter, it is important to work with a Pittsburgh family lawyer who is knowledgeable in state law regarding grandparents' rights.

At Rosen Family Law Group, we have over 25 years of combined legal experience representing individuals just like you. Our firm is committed to pursuing a favorable resolution to your case and supplying the legal guidance you need along the way. Throughout the entirety of your case, you can expect the responsiveness and personal contact only offered by a small law firm such as our own.

Call (412) 563-5000 today to learn how we can help you.

PA Grandparent Rights

Similar to other matters of custody and visitation, the court is careful to uphold the best interests of the child when a grandparent is requesting visitation.

A grandparent may do so only in very specific circumstances, including:

  • The death of a parent
  • The divorce of the parents
  • If the parents have filed for divorce or been legally separated for six months

The court will consider how much interaction occurred between the grandparents and their grandchildren before the visitation petition has been submitted. According to Pennsylvania state law, grandparents are eligible for two specific kinds of visitation – partial physical custody and supervised physical custody.

Third-Party Custody

Aside from grandparents, it is possible for third parties to obtain custody of a child. For example, a person standing in loco parentis- meaning in place of the parent – to the child can seek child custody, if the individual has assumed parental status and the biological parents have rescinded their parental duties.

Furthermore, Act 21 - which was passed in Pennsylvania in 2018 – expanded the categories of people who can request child custody through the courts. According to the recent law, any person (who is not a family member) may seek custody, as long as he/she (1) has assumed or is willing to assume responsibility for the child, (b) has the best interests of the child, and (3) neither parent is caring for the child.

Common types of third parties include:

  • Siblings
  • Blood relatives such as aunts, uncles, or cousins
  • Stepparents

Put a Dedicated Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer on Your Side

With such an important decision at stake, it is important to have a Pittsburgh family law attorney in your corner who is experienced in parental rights cases and can protect your rights. We can work tirelessly to prepare the strong case you need and show the court why you deserve visitation rights.

What are you waiting for? Contact our Pittsburgh divorce attorney today! Your relationship with your grandkids matters to us.

Get to Know Our Team

Learn about the dedicated people that make up our firm.